- Senior Fellow at the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities
- Con to the question "Does Lowering the Federal Corporate Income Tax Rate Create Jobs?"
“Corporate income taxes are important sources of revenue that states use to fund public services, including services essential to long-term economic growth like education, infrastructure, health care, and public safety… A number of gubernatorial candidates have made corporate tax cuts key planks of their campaign platforms. This continues a trend of the past couple of years, during which policymakers in several states have proposed cutting corporate income tax rates — or even eliminating the tax completely — as a strategy for stimulating economic growth and creating jobs. These proposals, however, offer false hope. Corporate income tax cuts are unlikely to have a positive impact on a state’s rate of economic growth or the pace at which it generates private-sector jobs.”
“Cutting State Corporate Income Taxes Is Unlikely to Create Many Jobs,” cbpp.org, Sep. 14, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with PhDs and MBAs, or equivalent advanced degrees in fields relevant to corporate tax rates and jobs. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to corporate tax rates and jobs.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Senior Fellow, Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, Jan. 1998-present
- Director of Policy Research and Director of Information, Multistate Tax Commission, 1989-1997
- Policy Analyst, Department of Public Policy, American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees (AFSCME), 1982-1989
- MBA, Public and Private Management, Yale University, 1982
- BA, Economics and Government, Oberlin College, 1976
- Contact Info:
- Named to State Tax Notes “All Decade State Tax Team” in 2010
- Lives in Silver Spring, MD
- Has two children with wife Andrea Levere
- Quoted in:
- Pro & Con Quotes: Does Lowering the Federal Corporate Income Tax Rate Create Jobs?